The Hotel Splendide


See the photo gallery


The Hotel Splendide was destroyed in 1983 and was part of Evian's thermal glory days.

Created in 1860 by the mineral water company under the name Grand Hôtel des Bains, it was extended and a floor was added during the 1897/98 winter season. Work was conducted by Ernest Brunnarius and finished within seven months. This tour-de-force became its final silhouette: a long main building with a terrace and three domed pavilions in the front. The hotel then became the Hotel Splendide, a palace with 230 rooms. Some of the most renowned guests were Sarah Bernhardt and Gustave Eiffel before 1898, and Marcel Proust, who spent several days there. There is an impressive cedar tree in the old park. It was probably planted during the first years and will soon be two centuries old.


All year round, daily.


Rue de la Source de Clermont
74500 Évian-les-Bains

Languages spoken:

  • French,